1. Home
  2. /
  3. F.A.Q.


What is Section 8 Housing?

Section 8 is the name of a housing program that is administered by HUD (US Department of Housing and Urban Development). This program provides rental assistance to seniors, people with disabilities and family households.

How do I apply?

Please call 414-271-4116 to request an application. If the wait list is open for the property(s) you are interested in, an application will be mailed to you. Applications need to be filled out completely and returned within 20-30-days. A copy of each applicants Social Security card and picture ID for everyone 18 years of age and older is required. Applications are processed in the order they are received, according to date and time.

Would I be eligible?

Credit, criminal, landlord, and personal background checks are run on all adult applicants. Section 8 housing has income requirements based on the number of people in your household.

How much will my rent be?

Your rent will be approximately 30% of your household’s gross monthly income. Your gross monthly income is the amount you receive before any taxes or deductions are taken out. The rent for each household living in Section 8 is different.

How much will my security deposit be?

Your security deposit will be approximately one month’s rent.

What is the difference between Project Based Section 8 and a Section 8 Voucher?

With Project Based Section 8, the assistance stays with the apartment and not the individual. An individual receives the assistance only as long as they live at that property.

With a Section 8 Voucher, the assistance stays with the voucher holder. This means that the voucher holder picks out a market rate apartment and uses their portable voucher to supplement the rent. When they move from the apartment, they take their voucher with them.

If an individual with a Section 8 Voucher wants to live at a Project Based Section 8 property the person may apply to the property but prior to moving in would need to give up their Section 8 Voucher.

Will I have a lease agreement?

For Section 8 housing, the initial term of your lease is one year. After that, the lease is on a month to month basis. You can terminate your lease at any time with a written 30-day notice.

Do I have to pay for parking?


What utilities are included?

Each property is different. Please look under “amenities” for the building you are interested in.

Do you allow pets?

Pets are allowed at properties designated for seniors and/or people with disabilities. You can have either one (1) lap sized dog, 30lbs or under OR one (1) cat. You must provide proof that your pet has been spayed or neutered and is up to date on its rabies vaccine. Pets are required to comply with a Pet Policy and a $25 pet deposit is required.

Are the apartments furnished?

Our apartments are not furnished but all of them include kitchen appliances. Refer to “amenities” listed for each property.

Can I have money in the bank, such as a savings account and still qualify?

Yes. The interest income that your bank account(s) may earn will be counted towards your annual income.

Will I have to move if my income changes?

No. Your rent will be adjusted accordingly. HUD wants to make sure that every household pays rent based on their current income, so your income change would be verified and the rent adjusted.

We are accepting applications in Milwaukee and in Racine for 62+ Learn More